Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Tuesday's Treasures - Emily Claire Creations
This week's handmade artisan spotlight is on Valerie of Emily Claire Creations on ArtFire. Emily is a hugely talented polymer clay and jewelry artist. Let's get to know Valerie better!
1. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it? I have always done my own thing, I have always been self directed in many areas of my life. Whether it was my formal education or my personal life, I tend to keep my own counsel.
2. What role does your family play in your art? I spend a lot of time with my two daughters, so I get to revisit a lot of my favorite childhood memories, such as walking to the library, visiting the local woods, sharing all my favorite children's books with them. All of this seems to come through in my jewelry designs, in one way or another.
3. Where do you live and what is it like? I live in Northeast Ohio, near the border of Pennsylvania. It is very beautiful here. There used to be a lot of industry here, but it's gone, and now we are considered part of the "Rust Belt". We have a very vibrant artist community here and they are trying to revive our area through the arts.
4. Where did you learn to craft or are you self taught? I did take some jewelry metal working classes in College, but mainly I am self taught.
5. How long have you been working at your craft? My very awesome cousin in NYC got me interested in beading. I started beading in College, but I have become more serious in the past two years.
6. Where do you receive your inspiration, in general? my inspiration mainly comes from nature, mythology, fairy tales, and fantasy.
7. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists? Follow your bliss.
8. If you won a thousand dollar craft shopping spree, what would you spend it on? Tools, books, and more classes!
You can find more of Valerie's amazing creations here.