Tuesday, March 02, 2010
Tuesday's Treasures - Haffina Creations
I am starting a new weekly blog feature, called Tuesday's Treasures. I am going to be posting some of my favorite handmade artisans each week so please check back often.
I met Haffina, aka Jennifer on Plurk. She's an extremely talented Polymer Clay and Jewelry Artist. The turquoise is NOT real turquoise BTW. It's polymer clay! Can you believe it??
Let's get to know Haffina better!
1. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it? I dont think there is any one thing that defines me, I'm pretty much an onion - lots of layers :)
2. What role does your family play in your art? They are one of my sources of inspiration, and part of turning this into a business was to build a future for us all.
3. Where do you live and what is it like?I live in South Australia, in a rapidly growing semi-rural area. It is relatively quiet and my kids can walk to school.
4. Where did you learn to craft or are you self taught? I am pretty much completely self-taught, or family member taught. I read a lot and watch youtube videos and experiment.
5. How long have you been working at your craft? In terms of my jewellery design and creation, about 3 years. Chainmaille wise its about 2 years and Polymer clay is about 18 months. But I have always done something creative, including cross stitch, knitting, crochet, mandalas and painting.
6. Where do you receive your inspiration, in general? Everything is, or can be, an inspiration, depending on my frame of mind or what materials I am using.
7. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists? Be true to yourself. Create what you want to create, the way you want to create it. Don't allow currently fads or trends to dictate to you. And believe in yourself and your abilities and talents.
8. If you won a thousand dollar craft shopping spree, what would you spend it on? Rings for maille, polymer clay, Czech beads, lampwork, Swarovskis, Gemmies, wire, findings, resin, tools, tumbler.... okay..can I have another thousand dollars LOL!
Here's where you can find Haffina's creations:
HaffinaCreations on ArtFire
BeadsByHaffina on ArtFire
HaffinaAgain on Zibbet
HaffinaAgain on Etsy