Sunday, November 06, 2011

TADA!!!!!

Pin It


I've been admiring (OK...LUSTING OVER!) Katwise's gorgeous sweater coats for some time now. She creates fabulous coats out of recycled sweaters. Each one is a true work of art. She recently put up a tutorial in her etsy shop for a nominal fee. I snatched 1 up right away! I'm not a lover of the sewing machine, but her sweaters are made on a serger. Did I mention that I didn't have a serger at the time?? That didn't stop me though! My friend Michelle had one she wasn't using so we traded, a serger for beads! Isn't that how the Dutch bought Manhattan from the Indians? lol!

While getting up the courage to make my 1st sweater, I started collecting any old sweaters I could find, mostly from Goodwill & the Salvation Army thrift stores. The sweaters naturally had to be washed really well and then it was time to cut! Very scarey!


Then it was Serging Time! I was inspired by one of her sold coats that was done up in black and purple. Here's a photo of the back view. I even managed to make thumbholes! I'm so proud of myself!



I made it on the short side....because, well, I'm short! ;-) I also decided against making a hood for it. I'm undecided how to finish off the collar. Am debating between fraggles as Kat calls them, which is a fringey type look or some sort of ruffly collar. Will have to play with it some, but am pleased as can be! Thanks Kat!

6 comments:

KristiBowmanDesign said...

Lea I love it!! That is so cool, you did a fantastic job!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I "upcycle" sweaters and love your use of otherwise unused garments. Great look!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kristi! My friends thought I was crazy for this to be my 1st attempt, but I always jump in with both feet! lol!

Unknown said...

@Marie, thanks so much! I checked out your blog too! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Lea this is stunningly beautiful! You did a really good job on this!

Unknown said...

Thanks Janel! I can't believe I made it!