Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures - Maybeads

Pin It This week's feature is Lauren Mazursky. Lauren creates adorable critters out of glass. Here work is amazingly life-like & adorable at the same time. Her critters put a smile on my face every time! :-) I mean, who wouldn't smile when looking at these:



Let's get to know Lauren better.....
 
1. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
In terms of my beads - probably "kid-like".
 

2. What role does your family play in your art?

My kids will give me bead ideas and critiques (they go pretty easy on me, although once my daughter picked up a cat focal I'd made and she made it talk and say "hello, my face is too small for my head."). My girls are all to happy to give the "rejects" homes in their bead collections, though. My younger daughter is a bit of a promoter for me, too - she wears the chokers I make with my beads on them. She also gives them as gifts. In terms of the business part of my art, my husband is my photo sizer and business card maker, so he plays a large role. He's a printer, so he does the graphics for my cards and prints them.
3. Where do you live and what is it like? 
I live in a northwest suburb of Chicago. It's a pretty typical suburb. My kids walk to school. We have great neighbors. It's just right for us.
 

4. Where did you learn to craft or are you self taught? 
I learned lampworking in a beginner class at TLD Design Center in Westmont, IL, about 40 minutes from my house. I have since taken one more class that involved incorporating new things onto beads, like silvered ivory, murrini, copper and wire mesh. My critters are mostly self-taught. I learned a couple from tutorials (penguins and cows), and the rest I just kind of made up on my own. They're always evolving, though.  

5. How long have you been working at your craft?
About 2 1/2 years. 
 

6. Where do you receive your inspiration, in general?
Lately I'm inspired by dogs. I'll see someone walking their dog and I just want to get to my torch to see if I could make it into a bead. 
 

7. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists?
Keep on practicing your art, and find something that makes it unique. But be sure it's also something you enjoy doing. 
 

8. If you won a thousand dollar craft shopping spree, what would you spend it on?
Wow - I'd love to invest in the set-up for an actual studio. My torching area is pretty basic, and I stand up to torch. I'd love to work it so I can sit and have a larger supply of gas and have everything more organized. And I'd also buy some more exotic types of glass.

You can see more of Lauren's work at:
Etsy


No comments: