Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures - Essensu

Pin It
 





I first 'met' (virtually, that is) Tami Abiuso of Essensu on Plurk. She has great insight and has an amazing skin care product line! You can practically smell the luscious scents through the monitor! My mouth is watering from that second photo!

Let's get to know Tami better......
 
1. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
What a great question and not so easy to answer I might add. I'm not sure how those who know me would answer this, but for myself, what defines me, is my inner desire and search for the inspiration available to us in each new day. Making sure I'm being attentive and grateful for everything in my life. Everyday, I'm grateful to be able to share in the splendor of Mother Nature's abundance, which in turn, drives me to live passionately. Perhaps, living passionately is what defines me. 

2. What role does your family play in your art?
They certainly enjoy being able to test my new skin care formulas before they hit the market, and are always eager to give their feedback. However, I'm also a writer and they encourage me to continue to write and make time for it.

3. Where do you live and what is it like?
Actually, I live in a town voted as one of the Top 100 best places to live! Indeed it is. My home itself is on the woods, which is filled with wild turkeys, deer, bunnies, red fox, owls, a rare woodpecker and all the other small animals common to wood areas. We have a chipmunk family living in the step on our deck. I enjoy watching them flit about and they come up to the windows to say hi. 

Our town itself was settled along a canal and we have a wonderful bike trail connecting our town to all the surrounding towns. I enjoy taking long bike rides and running along it. The area is bustling in the summertime, with plenty of eateries and ice cream parlor right on the canal. The town sponsors many activities like outdoor jazz nights, car "shows" with cookouts, craft weekends, etc. all back-dropped by our scenic canal. 

4. Where did you learn to craft or are you self taught? 
I've been an herbalist for over 25 years, and enjoy dong medical research. These two passions combined when I became aware of skin and body care products having unfriendly ingredients for our skin and our environment. As I looked for an herbal solution for bug bites for instance, I learned what essential oils to include in a skin cream to help alleviate the itching. Deciding to create a natural skincare line was a natural progression for me. I do often consult with industry professionals when deciding on a particular formula, and all are rigorously tested before being introduced to the line.  

5. How long have you been working at your craft?
I began my actual skincare line in 2003. 

6. Where do you receive your inspiration, in general?
Nature of course. Even with my writing, nature always inspires me. I'm awed by the magnificence of its perfection and power.

7. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists?
Follow your heart or gut feeling. When you get that "ah ha" feeling, you know you have something. But the process getting there should be enjoyed as well. I believe if you follow your passions, whatever they are, you won't spend much time on the wrong path. Our inner guide is our inspiration. Get inspired, and be inspired. Then share your inspiration.

8. If you won a thousand dollar craft shopping spree, what would you spend it on?
I'm drawn to bottles and jars and lids and caps for my products. I love thinking about new packaging and the look of my line. I also have a personal desire to help battered woman and their children. We have a woman's shelter which is always in need of shampoo and soap, etc. I'd be inclined to use the money to fund as many bottles as I could fill with product, to donate to them. It wouldn't fill the need for supplies indefinitely, but it would provide a positive contribution to a very real need in the community, if even short term.
What an inspiration! Here are some links where you can find Tami's wonderful products:






2 comments:

Dzign by Jamie said...

Great interview Tami! Thanks for sharing :)

Tami Abiuso said...

Thank you Lea for giving me the opportunity to share a bit about me with your readers. I appreciate it! ~ Tami, essensu